Saturday, February 8, 2014

Take Care of Yourself

 I have been feeling under pressure for a few months now, and things have finally come to a head. Today I went to the doctor and was prescribed an anti-depressant and also a medication to help me sleep. For the past few months, I have been having trouble staying asleep at night and have been only getting 4 to 5 hours of sleep on most nights which makes me very tired all day. I’m in the process of relocating back to my home state of Maryland as well as more stress and more hours at work. I am also taking online classes to get my business degree. And of course there are the never-ending thoughts of my daughter who I will never see again in this life. Because of my daughter’s death in 2007, a few years ago I was diagnosed with depression which includes anxiety, heart palpitations, sleeplessness, irritability, forgetfulness, crying spells, and suicidal thoughts. Recently, all of these symptoms have come back, and that’s why I had see the doctor today. I also asked my doctor for a list of therapists and counselors that I can talk to. I will start making some phone calls tomorrow to find the best one for me.
The point I want to make with today’s message is that, if you need help, GET IT and get it soon! It will do you no good to put off getting the help you need and thinking that you can cope with these types of symptoms. As my doctor said to me today, there is nothing wrong with me. I am reacting and behaving in a normal way for someone who has been through what I’ve been through. Even suicidal thoughts are normal for parents who have lost a child. I want to see my daughter, so I would have to die myself in order to see her. There’s nothing wrong with that thought process unless, of course, I act on those suicidal feelings. Don’t be ashamed or afraid to talk to a professional about how you’re feeling. Believe me, doctors and counselors have heard it all and will not be shocked or surprised by anything you tell them. If you want to continue to improve your life and find joy and happiness again, sometimes you have to have help. Most of all, pray. God knows it all and can handle it all. In our weakness, He is strong.
Visit www.grief2joy.com to learn more. I look forward to getting to know about you and your child.

Love, Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment