Friday, January 3, 2014

Loss of a Child

Recently two of my best friends found out they were going to have a baby. That was very exciting and happy news. A couple of weeks after they found out about their new baby, there were some complications and my friend had to be put on bed rest for a couple of weeks. No one, not even the doctors, knew whether she was going to lose the baby. That was a very stressful two weeks with a lot of prayers, tears, and stress. The good news is that it’s a month later now and she still carrying the baby and is back to work. They are going to have a baby after all.
The point I want to make with this blog is that it doesn’t matter at what stage parents lose their child; the grief and the pain is still the same. I’ve met bereaved parents who have had miscarriages or abortions, people whose children died from cancer or other diseases, parents who lost infants, parents who lost teenagers, and parents like myself who lost older children (my daughter was 35 and she passed away). The point is that losing a child is losing a child; it doesn’t matter what age they are. I have done some research and found that the only thing that makes the death of a child more traumatic is if a child is murdered or commits suicide. In my research, I’ve also found out that parents who outlive their children have a 35% greater chance of dying an early death themselves. I’m sure that is due to  that stress, grief and pain that never goes away. It's a proven fact that prolonged stress contributes to early death.
Through my website, www.grief2joy.com I hope to  help bereaved parents have a better life. Even though we will never get over the death of our children, we don’t have to wallow in our grief and pain for the rest of our lives. There is a way to pick up the pieces and go on to be productive and experience joy and happiness once again.
Visit www.grief2joy.com to learn more. I look forward to getting to know about you and your child.

Love, Jacqui

1 comment:

  1. To post a comment, click on the title of the post and scroll down to the comment box.

    ReplyDelete